; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Endgame (at Little Mountain Gallery to April 28)

Sunday 22 April 2012

Endgame (at Little Mountain Gallery to April 28)

Well, this play sure fucked me up.



I'm not a fan of Samuel Beckett, after once trying to sit through a production of Waiting For Godot. So when I heard that Main Street Theatre was doing a Beckett play, I was highly skeptical. However, I had heard so many good things about Main Street Theatre and the tiny space that is the Little Mountain Gallery, that I just HAD to go.

And boy am I glad I did! The play is called Endgame, and yeah, I totally did not get its meaning, and I definitely need to Wikipedia the shit out of it in a bit, but everything else about this production was simply brilliant. The staging was phenomenal, and the acting was just incredible. It was creepy and captivating. The space felt like we were in some post-apocalyptic bunker with the last four remaining humans on Earth. We had Hamm, a wheelchair-bound blind guy who ordered around his helper/slave Clov, who dutifully carries out his wishes. They are joined by Hamm's legless parents, Nagg and Nell. Obviously you can see why this play messed with my mind and I need to come down from the sci-fi freakiness of it all.



This was the scariest thing I've ever seen in live theatre. I was literally on the edge of my seat, because I was terrified! This is one of the two shows that will be rounding out the Tremors Festival this week, so hurry and get a ticket before it's all over! It's definitely an exciting time in Vancouver's indie theatre scene this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment