; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Chelsea Hotel - Firehall Arts Centre

Saturday 29 September 2012

Chelsea Hotel - Firehall Arts Centre

Okay, seriously. W T F.



I mean, I just did not get it. If you're going to go see Chelsea Hotel at the Firehall Arts Centre, do NOT expect one of those jukebox musicals like Mamma Mia where they make a story out of songs from ABBA. Yes, this show centers completely around songs of Leonard Cohen, but storywise, the plot is as thin as the paper walls that make up the set.

I invited two of my friends with me who are both big Leonard Cohen fans, so they knew all the songs, all the poetry, everything that was included in the show. But even they thought it was not so great. They did appreciate the different versions of the songs that were presented, though.


I mean, all the actors were wonderful. They can sing and dance and play instruments! A highly talented group, there is no doubt about that. But as a show, if you think of this as a "Leonard Cohen revue" of sorts, then you will be pleased. I however, was not expecting that, so was sorely disappointed. But I did enjoy the music and their interpretations of his work and am intrigued to go out and get me some Cohen on my playlist.

Chelsea Hotel must be a hit with audiences though, since it was brought back for a second run after premiering last season at the Firehall. This time around, it's here for a healthy length of time! Chelsea Hotel runs at the Firehall Arts Centre until November 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment