; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: VIFF: The Invisible War

Sunday 30 September 2012

VIFF: The Invisible War


On Saturday morning, I went to watch the documentary The Invisible War, which tells the harrowing story of sexual assault in the US Military. Basically, if you're a woman and you want to join the military, expect to be raped. What a horrifying and infuriating look at an issue that has been going on for far too long. What's sad is that it continues, rapists in the military go on to bigger and better things, while their victims' lives fall apart as they try to put up a good fight in this closed-off system.

Check out The Invisible War website for more info on what you can do to help create change.


I know at least six people in my life who have been a victim of sexual abuse. There are probably more of my friends and loved ones, acquaintances, coworkers, who have also been a victim. It's time to speak up so they know they are not alone.

The Invisible War is the Audience Award winner for Best Documentary at Sundance this year. I don't see any future showings of this for the rest of the Vancouver International Film Festival, though if it's popular enough, they may add a screening. Keep checking VIFF for updates. Otherwise, there are so many more other films to go check out. I'm glad my first one was a hit and not a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment