; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: VIFF: Keep The Lights On

Friday 5 October 2012

VIFF: Keep The Lights On



Keep The Lights On is a movie about a film director named Eric who falls for Paul, a successful young man who also happens to be addicted to crystal meth. I liked this movie from the get-go. It began with images done by Boris Torres, a NYC artist that I am now totally obsessed with! Check out his artwork!

 

Then, it turns out the entire soundtrack for the movie is all Arthur Russell! Hello!!? Awesome!

The film also turned me onto the works of Avery Willard, whom I had never heard of before, but now am fascinated by!

Finally, the movie takes place in New York City, which is only my favourite place on Earth! So yeah, I was liking this film a lot!

 The story I could somewhat relate to, as I was once in love with an addict. It wasn't crystal meth, but I could see the whole dynamic of wanting to help out this person that you just love so much, and you'll make up all the excuses in the world for them and keep going back, even though the only thing they're wanting is their next fix. The film dragged in the end, only because it got frustrating and tedious to watch our main character Eric constantly keep returning to his crackhead lover. But I think that tedium may have been the point. Everyone else can see it, but when you're stuck in the middle of the storm like that, you only see what you want to see.  

Keep The Lights On is an official selection from Sundance and also the recipient of a Teddy Award at the Berlin International Film Festival. Check out the Vancouver International Film Festival website for more info!

No comments:

Post a Comment