; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Vancouver Opera: Pirates of Penzance

Tuesday 4 December 2012

Vancouver Opera: Pirates of Penzance

I've been busy with the Vancouver Inspiration Pass lately, and one of the many things I've done is attend the Vancouver Opera production of Pirates of Penzance!


I'm not a huge opera person so this was a good way for me to check out an opera. I have seen a few operas in the past, such as Porgy and Bess and Madame Butterfly, but Pirates of Penzance is a great introduction for people like me who are not huge enthusiasts, because 1) it's in English while most other operas are not and 2) it's a comedy and the show itself is rather entertaining and funny.

I saw my first opera when I was in high school, and wouldn't you know it, it was Pirates of Penzance! I was too young to appreciate it, I think. I'm glad I got to see it again and actually get the story and find myself enjoying it! This particular production also puts a modern twist on things with lines written specifically for Canadian audiences.

The Pirates of Penzance is on now at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre until Dec 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment