; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: And I Am Telling You... Go Watch Dreamgirls!

Saturday 29 June 2013

And I Am Telling You... Go Watch Dreamgirls!



The first time I saw Dreamgirls was the movie version with Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson. I loved it and watched it several more times following that. Then years later, I found myself in San Francisco watching a live production of the musical and it blew my mind. The key to a successful Dreamgirls production? You need an excellent Effie. And Arts Club Theatre's current production meets that criteria!



The set is simple but effective. The acting is over the top in that musical kind of way. But the singing, all of the singing from all of the actors, and especially Effie, is undeniably grand. And at the end of the day, for a musical, it's all about the music, isn't it?

Dreamgirls is on now at the Stanley Theatre until July 7th!

No comments:

Post a Comment