; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Meru

Sunday 27 September 2015

Meru

(reviewed by Meaghan Smith)

High Intensity Parade of Questionable Ideas


I can confidently say that I am not the intended audience of Meru. I spent most of the film somewhere between astounded and appalled at many of the decisions that the main characters made.

Meru is a never-before climbed peak that the three main subjects of the documentary are obsessed with climbing. The film follows their first failed attempt at the climb as well as the years the follow to gear up to the “feel good” finale of the film. Of course between the first and third attempt many horrors befall the main subjects which just makes their triumph that much sweeter, or if you are like me that much crazier.

If you are an adventure junkie, or a mountain climber you may be better equipped to accept the decisions of Jimmy, Conrad and Renan, but as a logical non-thrill-seeker I spent most of the film thinking about the impact of their decisions. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for the women and children that these three men left at home in their mission to do the impossible.

This is of course a film with spectacular visuals, though it seemed at times some landscapes were enhanced through photo editing which I found to be a little crazy considering how grand the shots would have been otherwise.

I suggest this film for high-octane people, or those like me who are just trying to understand what it is that drives a person to do such dangerous things. 

Meru is on again on September 29th at 9pm at the Rio. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment