; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Madonna: Truth or Dare 25th Anniversary Screening at The Rio

Monday 5 September 2016

Madonna: Truth or Dare 25th Anniversary Screening at The Rio

OH MY GAWD.

When I was 13 years old, I was GAGGING to go see Madonna's Truth or Dare documentary. She was my idol. Of course, nobody would take me to the theatre to see it. I tried to sneak in with a friend, but that also got squashed by the theatre workers. So I had to wait months after it was out of the theatre to see it via rental on VHS video.

Still, I watched it completely enamored. I bought the video, then years later the DVD, and have watched it countless times. Alek Keshiashan's filming of Madonna's Blond Ambition tour remains the most cinematic I've ever seen of her concerts. I've been wanting to see the concert in full from his footage, but alas only a select number of songs make it into the film. Maybe one day, we'll get the full Blond Ambition tour released.

But  up until now, I had never seen Truth or Dare on the big screen. Turning 25 this year, it's finally coming back in vogue (pardon the pun). New York City screened the film for a whole week, with Madonna herself appearing at the MoMA screening of it to surprise her fans. Can you imagine? I was bemoaning the fact that I wasn't in NYC for that - not just to have her in the theatre, but even just to see the movie on the silver screen the way it was intended.

Now, thanks to the Rio Theatre, I will FINALLY get my chance! I've only been waiting 25 years for this moment!! Thank you RIO Theatere for making a lifelong dream of mine come true. I can't wait to cozy up in one of your seats with a bucket of popcorn and finally get to watch Truth or Dare in all its glory, on the big screen with surround sound, amongst other fellow Madonna fans.

Truth or Dare screens at The Rio on Tuesday September 6 at 845pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment