; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Picasso: The Artist and his Muses

Friday 2 September 2016

Picasso: The Artist and his Muses

I may have been a bit quick to dismiss the current Picasso exhibit on at the Vancouver  Art Gallery. I first attended the opening night event, which of course, was stupidly busy. That meant I had very little time to look at all the artwork being displayed. It was a "let's just get this over with" kind of evening. And Picasso's work has never fully appealed to me before.


I went back mid-summer with a friend and got to see a bit more of the show, but even then I found myself bored and not really engaging. Perhaps it's because we were more focused on catching up with one another than we were the exhibit.

Finally, I went back for a third round and it's like they say, third time's the charm. This time I read all the descriptions and realized that Oh, Wait a Minute, this exhibit centers around Picasso and all of his lovers that he'd had and how they inspired and informed his work! Whoa. That's kinda cool. And he's also kind of a player. And he's DEFINITELY a jerk. I mean, on one of his so-called "muses" he went and burned her face with a cigarette butt! W T F ??

So in the end, yes, this is an interesting exhibit and you should go check it out and give it a chance.

Picasso: The Artist and His Muses is on until October 2 at the Vancouver Art Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment